Spheres of application
CDN video streaming is widely used for broadcasting:
- sporting events;
- annual meetings and ceremonies;
You can manage several simultaneous streams (channels), which makes CDN ideal for multisession conferences. Using video templates you can have overall control over live stream and embed it on your website professionally. With a quality streaming CDN, you will find publication of a live stream simple. Supporting Flash Live Media Encoder (FLME) and Wirecast and other useful software, a good CDN will set a live stream up in a few seconds.
Advantages and features
Since streaming CDNs are only being implemented by some providers, they are not ideal – every solution has its pros and cons. When choosing a CDN for live streaming, pay attention to the following characteristics and peculiarities:
- The price of service. Pretty often, providers charge per active streams (channels), but some charge only for data usage at standard rates. Make a decision based on your needs and the frequency of broadcasts. If there’s an opportunity to use a free trial, don’t hesitate and go for it.
- Reporting features are not present in some new networks. However, you will definitely need reporting capabilities to find out how the stream is assessed, and who your audience is. The reports are similar to media reports and are pretty simple to understand.
- Compatibility with mobile devices is crucial, because almost half of Internet users access websites via smartphones and tablets. Make sure that at least the most commonly used devices on iOS and Android will play your stream: HTTP Live Streaming (HLS) should be fully supported for that.
- The level of customer support should be good enough to back your project up in case of failures in network or servers. Unless you’re a tech savvy developer, you will need professional technical assistance sooner or later. A decent provider should be able to render it around the clock.
Last but not the least is the location of edge servers: choose a CDN (content delivery network) with servers places as close to your target audience as possible.